Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Manzanas o "Manzanas"?

Today we started our actual classes. This morning we got to school and found out which group we tested into for our grammar and conversation classes.

I tested into the "Leones" group - we're the "slower" level. I've never really tested into a slow level of anything in my life, but I am completely fine with this. I know that I didn't do super-well on my test because I was so overwhelmed by Spain in general that I could barely string together a sentence, let alone take a 40-question test plus write short answers and have a mini-interview. I get nervous when I have to speak in front of people who are a lot more skilled than I am at the language (that's why I never shut up in English! Ha :) ), so I think the lower level is a good fit for me.

I feel like I'm somewhere near the head of the class for this level, which is fine by me. If I was in the upper level, I'd be somewhere very near the end of the class, so I think I'll be much happier here.

From 9:15 to 11:00 we had grammar. Today was easy since we just reviewed the present tense, which I know backward and forward and upside down since I've been taking Spanish for so long. We had a break from 11:00 to 11:30 (when I scarfed down an apple and granola bar since I am so hungry due to the size of "breakfast" here), then went to our conversation class (same group as before).

The teacher for this class is hilarious. She's one of those teachers who takes 30 minutes to take roll for a class of 13 students because she asks questions about everyone's names, how they are, then goes off on tangents. She asked me if I was some sort of Latino descent because of my name (which here, by the way, is Ah-vee-guy-eel Seel-vah).

We spent the rest of the class (until 1:00) talking about how we flirt - s0 funny to do in Spanish! One guy said he flirts by "hacer amor en bailando"...I'll let you google translate that one, but it's not what he meant! He didn't realize it until we were all cracking up. I told the story of how my boyfriend and I "flirted" about apples (it's a cute story, I promise!) and later someone said they ask girls if they like apples...someone got confused and asked if that was innuendo, then I had to tell my story again and explain that I really did mean apples (manzanas) and not, ahem, "apples" ("manzanas").

After that class we had our most boring class of the day - art history. Hopefully it will get more exciting, but I think it might just be because of the teacher. The subject itself seems interesting enough to me.

I am happy to report that I understand everything my teachers said today, without confusion or needing clarification. I think today was a success!

I went home with a growling tummy, which I immediately filled with fried cauliflower (which tastes like mushy broccoli), meat balls, and an orange. I'm going to find some internet at a market near my house tonight, so I'll try to post again, this time with pictures of my room and the view from it - you might be a little jealous :)

Abrazos,
ah-vee-guy-eel

No comments:

Post a Comment