Sunday, April 3, 2011

Señorita Johnson

A common topic of discussion amongst my peers is how our first Spanish teachers "ruined our lives."

Clearly, this is an exaggeration. But let me explain.

When we all first start learning Spanish, we learned the present-tense conjugation:

o amos
as --
a an

See those little dashes? Our teachers all told us that we would never ever ever use the vosotros form. Unless we were in Spain.

We breezed right on past the vosotros form with Señorita Johnson in middle school. She insisted it wasn't necessary - you only use in in Spain.

That's all.

Just Spain.

Where I'm studying right now.

How were my teachers willing to predict that none of us would ever go to Spain? I don't think anyone else from my middle school has, but hey - shouldn't we at least have had the option to learn something that could be potentially useful?

It's really not that big of a deal. I'm not as bitter as this post is making me sound. I just find it highly amusing that most teachers in the U.S. (all that I have had anyway) have swiftly bypassed teaching the vosotros form, always saying it wasn't useful unless you were in Spain.

And here I am in Spain...and it is used all the time. Teachers here use it constantly when speaking with us, and we hear it a lot when receiving instruction. Luckily we all know about the vosotros form and understand its conjugation...but my advice to anyone studying Spanish would be to learn that form anyway.

Even if you only use it in Spain.

♥ abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment