Monday, February 14, 2011

The First Post

Hello friends and family...welcome to Abigail Abroad - a blog in which I hope to share with you the adventures I have while studying abroad in Santander, Spain.

Never heard of it? To be honest, I hadn't either...and I still don't know much of it beyond that it is a lovely coastal city in northern Spain where I will call home for two months while attending Universidad de Cantabria.

I decided to study abroad on a whim - I had always wanted to but was too nervous to embark on such an adventure on my own. A change of events at the end of my sophomore year got me itching to apply, but I held back until this fall, when my dear roommate Sara was applying to the program. She is also a Spanish minor and was taking advantage of study abroad to earn the necessary credits.

We live with three other girls, but our rooms are upstairs and connected with a bathroom, obviously making up pretty close (despite the fact that we barely knew each other). She was accepted and I asked her what I was going to do without her...she responded, "Why don't you come with me?"

I let it sit for a second and then replied, "Why don't I go with you?!"

And my drive to study abroad was renewed, knowing that if I got accepted and decided to go, it wouldn't be alone, but with a friend.

After a frenzied few weeks of filling out applications, writing essays, scrounging up recommendation letters and submitting various information, the process was complete. I had an interview and found out a few days later that I would be spending March 25 through June 3 in Santander.

This weekend we had a seven-hour long orientation, where our group (about 30 students from OSU, UO, SOU, EOU and PSU) learned everything we need to know about our time abroad - school schedule, where we'll be living, how our insurance works, what's expected of us, among a million other details.

This meeting left me excited and anxious to get to Spain and start this adventure.

I hope to use this blog as a way to keep in contact with friends and family while I'm away, but for now I'll be using it as an outlet for my feelings about my trip - everything from nerves to excitement to trouble packing to what I need to get done between now and March 24 when I leave on what is sure to be a grand adventure!

abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment