Thursday, May 19, 2011

3 x 5

Thursday, 6:07 p.m.

I wrote the following while staring out the window on the drive home:

There is so much beauty in Spain, and photos won't do the scenery justice.

Ever listened to John Mayer?

In 3 x 5 he sings:

"Didn't have a camera by my side this time,
Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes."

We're on the bus home from Burgos right now, making our way through the Spanish countryside, and I can't even begin to describe it's beauty. Photos don't do it justice - and believe me, I've tried to capture the beauty.

To continue John Mayer:

"Today I finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame."

I did. I realized that some things can't be captured. Too often I find myself looking at everything through my camera rather than actually appreciating what's right in front of me. Some moments just need to be enjoyed without anything distracting us.

Right now I see lush green hills with grass rolling like waves as the wind moves it along. Heavy gray clouds are casting dark shadows on the grass, creating a mottled black and green pattern. The hills are dotted with trees, flowers, and the occasional quintessential Spanish home - small and white with a red roof. Cows and horses graze and roam, contained to their pastures by low stone walls.

It's peaceful and beautiful. Here's the one shot I snapped with my phone before realizing that some things just have to be enjoyed:

No comments:

Post a Comment