Thursday, April 7, 2011

Random musings

Nothing new to report here...I am slowly but surely adjusting to life in Spain. Although I'm pretty sure I'm always dehydrated and tired, and I know for a fact that I'm always hungry!

Being here has made me realize that we Americans are such grazers - food is always out and available to snack on. In my house, we only eat at meal times - our tiny little breakfast (which is mostly liquid) at 7:30, a more sizable dish (a main dish with bread and fruit) at 2:30, and a light dinner (appetizer-like food and yogurt) at 9:00.

There isn't any snacking in my house - although I bought some rice cakes and cereal bars to eat during break at school, plus my host mom gives me an apple to take with me.

This is definitely a change from home, where I'm constantly grazing and my only "substantial" meal is dinner, but it's something I'm getting used to.

Something I don't think I'll ever get used to is everyone and their grandma (not an exaggeration) sunbathing topless on the beach. It's just strange. I don't know what it is - do people in Spain have no shame, or do they just want to avoid tan lines that badly? Either way (or whatever the real answer is), it's something that will continually remind me that I'm not home.

Everything else I think I can used to - different foods, different meal times, different customs, different language...but being on a public beach with your top off? Not going to happen!

Today was another lovely day in Santander, although the beach was a tad bit windy (I know, such a rough life) for my liking. Sara and I ventured out on a nice run along the Paseo, went our separate ways for dinner, and now I'm settling in for the night with a good book.

Tomorrow our group goes on our first excursión - we're going to see some caves. Or replicas of caves. Somewhere in Spain. I'm not really clear on the details - I just show up when they tell me to. I'll fill you in tomorrow and I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures!

♥ abigail

1 comment:

  1. Maybe me eating so little everyday isn't so strange now. lol Obviously other cultures don't eat that much either.

    ReplyDelete